“To protect, empower and develop performance writers in the local film, television, radio, stage, animation and new media (internet mobile and digital distribution, and gaming) industries”
“A self-sustainable and united guild representing the collective interests of ALL performance writers in the local film, television, radio, stage, animation and new media (internet mobile and digital distribution, and gaming) industries”
The programmes and projects run by the WGSA are based on its Business Implementation Framework (BIF) or strategic plan, which is aligned to our mission and vision statements.
It consists of the following strategies:
- The Core Service Delivery Strategy is the primary strategy. It expresses how WGSA will achieve its purpose and highest aspirations and is the reason why WGSA exists. However, it cannot be successfully implemented, without the
- The Capacity Building Strategy.
The Core Service Delivery Strategy incorporates the legal protection of members’’ interests, empowerment and development. It is made up of four interdependent macro programmes or services:
- The Legal Services Programme
- The Membership Programme
- The Professional Development Programme
- The Communications, Relations and Marketing Programme
THE LEGAL SERVICES PROGRAMME
- Championing the rights of performance writers by interceding between an allegedly recalcitrant employer and the writer,
- Advice on any contractual and/or legal issues writers may have with employers,
- Advising individuals on broad copyright issues,
- Drafting of standard contracts, terms and conditions, such as buy-backs, screen credits, protection of “”moral rights”, bonus remuneration and residuals for performance writers and negotiating the terms and conditions thereof,
- Determining and negotiating standard minimum rates based on experience for performance writers in all fields,
- Promoting, protecting and lobbying for performance writers’’ rights and professional and artistic interests in the Industry, and advocacy regarding these with Government,
- Access to a script registry at discounted rates,
- A Collection Agency collecting residuals on behalf of members,
- Transformation of our industry. (without “entitlement” as of right.) Don’t know what you mean by this.
THE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
- Workshops, seminars and knowledge share sessions with local and international facilitators and speakers in major centres,
- A skills laboratory,
- Grass Roots training,
- Writer training in ethnic languages through Train the Trainer
- Long Distance workshops with international facilitators via the internet,
- Training in Audio Description,
- Competitions such as the annual Great Idea Competition,
- Annual WGSA Muse Awards, honouring the work of performance writers.
THE MEMBERS’ PROGRAMME
- WGSA is affiliated with the trade union UASA, and has access to government departments and labour organisations through the Union.
- Members can join UASA via WGSA and share in the many benefits, discounted services and products it offers. Visit the UASA website www.uasa.org.za for more information on benefits;
- Job Alerts,
- Writing Links, and
- Discounts on many software purchases.
THE COMMUNICATIONS, RELATIONS BUILDING AND MARKETING PROGRAMME
- News updates,
- Social networking platforms,
- An informative website which now incorporates many elements of the WGSA Magazine,
- A monthly newsletter.